SEO and Toe Socks (Part 1 of a 2 part series)
Alright, so you have a super-fantastic product that every single man, woman and child needs right now if they want to have any hope whatsoever of their lives having even the tiniest shred of meaning or joy. You also have a website that is uber-splendiferous in appropriate proportion to how ultra-radtastical your product is. Out there are millions upon millions of internet users that need your product, even if they don’t realize that they need it (or that it even exists) yet. But how to you bring them to you so that they can see how much they need what you have to offer?
Ok, let’s say that your amazing products are solar powered warming toe socks in a variety of styles and colors, which you sell under the name of TwinkleToes. Now, your customers aren’t likely to be looking for your product by name, especially if you’re just starting out. They are going to need a little bit of help to connect their need for warming toe sock to your TwinkleToes website. Fortunately, for both you and your customers, this needed connection is exactly what popular search engines (like Google) exist for.
However, if your customer simply types in “toe socks” Google is going to come back with about 860,000 results (I checked). If your site happens to be in the 10 results on that first page, then there is a pretty good chance that the customer will notice that your toe socks have the added perk of being warmed by solar power and that they never realized just how much they needed socks like that. On the other hand, if you site is on page 32 nobody will see it. Ever.
So, how do you make it onto that first page? This is where the fine art of Search Engine
Optimization comes into play. SEO can be summed up into 3 very basic concepts.
1. Let Search Engines Know You Are There – If a search engine is unaware of your site’s presence then it won’t list you in its results. So, step one is to submit you site to all of the major search engines and as many directory listings as possible.
2. Let Search Engines Know You Are Important – Search engines are there to provide relevant information to users. If they don’t do that, users will go to a different service. So, a search engine’s survival depends on giving users the information most likely to be what the user is looking for. You need to let search engines know that TwinkleToes is exactly what users really want when they search, not just solar powered warming toes socks, but any kind of sock. You do this through providing plenty of content in your site and through your linking to other important sites and having important sites link back to you. Think of it in terms of building popularity by associating with the “cool kids”.
3. Let Search Engines Know Why You Are Important – Being important may help you get into the first 10 pages of results, but you need to be on page one if you want to reach those customers. For this, you need to show the search engine that you aren’t just important, you are the most important. This is accomplished through keywords in your content and in your links.
Now we have a clear understanding of what SEO is and why it is important. In part 2 we’ll take a look at how to actually apply this knowledge in a way that will put www.TwinkleToes.com on page one of a Google search.
- Related Blogs on seo
- SEO: When Was The Last Time you Wrote Fresh Content? | SEO Consult …
- Should You try For Google News? | SEO Consult – Certified Search …
- Paid Link Noi$e | SEO Chicks
- SEO Can Enhance The Business Of Websites | SEO Consult Articles
- 600+ Design, SEO, Social Media & Freelance Links I Tweeted This …
- Guitar Hero 4